In the summer of 2013 I took part in The New Collective’s first residency. I put up posters asking people to ‘Help make my life less dull’ and received about 30 responses, of which I met 26 over 6 weeks. After graduating I took a month of making work and two years later realised I still hadn’t made anything. My sense of self had been slowly eroding. With this project I decided to interrupt my daily life, actively sought out odd encounters and to finally make some art.
Amongst other things I…
- had my aura read very accurately,
- spent an evening drinking with a Mod publican,
- met a musician who had just been able to pay for her rent with her music,
- was taken to spa by a woman who in her 40s spent 7 years traveling the world on a motor bike,
- went to the forest of dean to eat home made jam with an artist,
- was given my favourite chocolate bar by a man who felt he was psychic,
- went to see fireworks,
- had a song played in my honour by a circus cabaret band,
- was given a cake decorated to look like Ziggy Stardust’s face,
- had a free trip round a zoo with an australian tourist and a Dino Ranger,
- experienced hypnotherapy,
- ate a whole packet of smoked salmon in one sitting,
- got a tattoo,
- went to see world class flamenco,
- had tacos and margarita’s on a roof with some Mexicans,
- and went to Madrid to party with the co-owner of a vintage shop.
The responses I received were overwhelmingly generous and my life is now demonstrably better.